In honor of our celebration, I thought I'd share a few pages from our album - and some wedding day memories
- My mom made my wedding gown. This led to many debates (okay, arguments). I wanted a flowy, hippie-style dress. I wound up with a straight skirt and a detachable train. It was beautiful - but completely different than what I planned. And what was with that cap/veil thingie?
- When the flowers were delivered to my house, we realized that we forgot to order corsages for the moms and grandma. I wound up ordering them from Jewel & Dad went to pick them up.
- I went to a friend's house to have her do my make-up before the wedding. I looked like a circus clown when she finished. ("But you need to have more color for the pictures.") I rubbed off most of it off on the way home.
- My brother drove me to the ceremony with my sister and his date. We were early, so we went to Winberie Cafe, a restaurant with a bar. People kept buying us drinks! (Brides, use that wedding dress to your advantage!)
- When I was walking down the aisle, a friend of my husband's stepped forward and high-fived me. Classy.
- My nephew (age 2 at the time) was the ring bearer. My sister bribed him with candy to "walk nicely" down the aisle. When he got to the front he yelled out, "Can I have my Tootsie Roll now?!"
- During the vows, after my husband said "I do," I whispered, "You better." I didn't think everyone would be able to hear me. Of course they did.
- We did a receiving line at the reception venue. By the time we finished, all the appetizers (that WE picked!) were gone. And I was hungry. Really hungry.
- My parents wanted a German band, I wanted a deejay, so we had both. All my friends danced to the German band. The Deejay played everything EXCEPT the songs on my playlist.
- We had a really hard time cutting the cake. No one mentioned that there would be cardboard between the layers. I know that now.
- Another thing about the cake. I wanted fresh flowers on top. The bakery said that wasn't possible. What?!
- The server that waited on the head table was really mean. She rolled her eyes when we asked for more butter. Nice.
- Despite some mishaps, it was one of the best days of my life.
|Other couples make cake cutting look so easy!
If I could do it over again I would:
- Hire a real deejay & play great dance music.
- Get a good photographer
- Serve cupcakes!
- Wear a different dress
- Marry the same wonderful man.
So..... I guess next year we may need to have a 20th anniversary party. This time we'll get those details right.
Happy anniversary, sweetheart!