Saturday, December 15, 2012

There is Light Shining Through the Cracks

"There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in." - Leonard Cohen

The events of the past day have left a huge crack in our world. Our hearts ache for the families in Newton, Connecticut who are suffering. I have shed tears and felt the sadness shared by so many of us. I hugged my children and held them a little closer last night.

In the wake of the news coverage, I have heard so many people express their pain with questions."What is the world coming to?" "What has happened to our humanity?" "Why are people so horrible?"

While I share the anger,disbelief, and sadness, I refuse to believe that this horrible tragedy is a sign of the future. I can't accept that this awful, heart-breaking event is an example of what our society has become.

There is still good in the world. There is still light shining through the cracks. 

Here's one of my favorites: #19 - The famous rugby player who visited his biggest fan in the hospital
from Buzzfeed.com
So, as we remember and grieve with those who are suffering, keep your loved ones close to you, and remember the good in the world.  And don't ever give up on HOPE.