Monday, October 11, 2010

Sarah & Pete's Moving, Murderous Wedding

Let me begin by saying that no one was actually murdered at Sarah and Pete's wedding. Well, at least not that I know of.

Okay, now that we have that out of the way, I can tell you a bit more.

Sarah & Pete had a 10-10-10 wedding at my favorite venue, Catalyst Ranch. Their ceremony included two wonderful readings, the first being a selection from Madeleine L'Engle's "The Irrational Season." The other reading was actually dialogue from the movie adaptation of Neil Gaiman's book, Stardust. Sarah, a young adult librarian, selected these readings and they were just perfect.

I especi
ally love this part from the Stardust reading: "My heart… It feels like my chest can barely contain it. Like it’s trying to escape because it doesn’t belong to me any more. It belongs to you. And if you wanted it, I’d wish for nothing in exchange – no gifts. No goods. No demonstrations of devotion. Nothing but knowing you loved me too. Just your heart, in exchange for mine."

Wow.... It definitely goes into my collection of favorite quotes!

And (getting back to the ceremony) I even got to use a line from The Princess Bride during the weddin
g. How's that for a cool ceremony? I loved it!!

Besides picking great readings, Sarah and Pete included many other personal elements to their wedding day. My favorite detail was their wonderful attire. Sarah wore a lovely satin dress, which was handmade for her by her grandmother. Pete wore his grandfather's original wedding suit. Isn't that so cool?

Also - the wedding cake absolutely has to be mentioned. It was made by none other than the groom himself! Pete is a professional baker and he baked the cake AND decorated it. Can you believe it?? Even the pretty fondant flowers and detailed autumn leave that adorned the cake were his creations.

This just keeps getting better!

But wait - there's more! Now for the "murderous" part.....

The wedding reception featured a wedding-themed murder mystery. FUN! It also explains why I saw a different bride dash past just before the ceremony. I did a double-take and was a bit confused until I realized the other was the faux bride. For a minute there, it looked like the bride from the wedding downstairs was making a run for it!

In any case, i
t was a gorgeous day for a very cool wedding of a really lovely couple.

Congratulations, Sarah & Pete! I wish you all the very best for a happy life together!