Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Wedding Profile: FELICIA & IMTIAZ

This past July, I had the honor of marrying a wonderful, creative couple named Felicia and Imtiaz. The bride and groom come from different backgrounds - he is from India and a Muslim, while she is American-born and Jewish. These two backgrounds proved to offer many rich and meaningful rituals which blended beautifully. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed researching traditions and writing the ceremony!

The wedding was held at the beautiful and funky Architectural Artifacts, with the ceremony taking place outside in the courtyard.
The bride and groom wore tradition Indian attire for the ceremony, and Felicia carried a gorgeous fuchsia bouquet - which she made herself. I couldn't help myself - joining in spirit of things by wearing a red and gold salwar kameez that I had my mom sew for me (thanks, Mom!) and I had my hands hennaed.

The couple exchanged vows under a Chuppuh which was custom-made and included bits of fabric from both the bride and groom's clothing. Felicia's friends read a version of the Seven Blessings, during which the couple shared a glass of milk (a Hindu tradition). Felicia and Imtiaz took the idea of a stone blessing ceremony and turned it into a wonderfully personal and unique ceremony where guests placed blessings and well wishes on packets of soil, which were collected while dj Harsh Singh played "Your Good Name" by Mychael Danna, from the Monsoon Wedding soundtrack.

Felicia's parents joined the couple for a water pouring ceremony, which involved them pouring water over Imtiaz and Felicia's hands, and into the potted plant, to which the packets of soil had just been added. It was a beautiful way to tie together traditions and actively involve guests and family in the ceremony.

Following the vows and ring exchange, Felicia and Imtiaz exchanged fresh flower garlands made by Imtiaz's aunt. The ceremony concluded with Imtiaz breaking a glass (the same glass from which they drank the milk earlier) and guests shouting out "Mazel Tov!"


It was a gorgeous wedding for a wonderful couple who touched my heart from the moment I met them - and who I know will enjoy a lifetime of happiness and love.

Thank you to photographer Chris Ocken from Ocken Photography for sharing the lovely photos!