Having been on a reading frenzy, I picked up the book, "The Longest Aisle - An Offbeat Guide to Wedding Planning" by Richard Mintzer. Truth be told, I thought this was a "real" wedding planning guide when I found it at the library. It turned out to be a spoof of the usual guide book, with very funny do's and don'ts and great (but also goofy!) tips.
One of my favorite parts of the book was "Money Saving Tips." These wonderfully silly suggestions include:
- Finger foods are less expensive..... try the new McWedding hors d'oeuvres.
- Hang out at the local hospital and "borrow" flowers from rooms when patients are sleeping.
- Hamburger Helper can make your main course go a long way.
- Pick up thrown rice and boil it to be served as a side dish.
- Sixteen Sarah Lee cakes smashed together and covered with frosting look just like any other wedding cake.
- Make your wedding invitations an assignment for a local fifth-grade arts and crafts class.
Another favorite was "Problems You May Run Into When a Friend or Family Member Plans Your Wedding." These issues include:
- You don't agree on balloon animals as centerpieces at a formal affair.
- She ends up marrying the groom.
- She forgets to invite your parents.
- Your mom plans it and invites a different groom ... of her own choosing.