Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Q & A - How do you write a "personalized" ceremony?

I thought I'd cover a frequently asked question today.

People often wonder how it is that I can create a "personalized" ceremony for each couple.

Well, I will now divulge my secret..... actually it's not really a secret at all.

Every couple who hires me completes a Couple Questionnaire before I start working on their ceremony. The Questionnaire has tons of questions, the answers of which allow me to get to know each couple better.

Then I start working on the ceremony. I select rituals the couple has requested, or I suggest those that I think they'll like. I also spend time researching elements that will make the ceremony unique, such as lyrics to songs they like, quotes from a favorite author or movie, etc. I'll also look into traditions from their cultural backgrounds if they like.

So... what are some of the questions I ask?
Here is a small sampling:

  • How did you and your partner meet?
  • How did you propose or accept the proposal?
  • What does your partner do that always makes you laugh?
  • In what ways has your life changed since meeting your partner?
  • Would you like to include anything in the ceremony to honor your background?
  • Is there someone special who helped shape you as a person?
  • Do you have a favorite movie or book? Favorite writer?
  • What is your favorite type of music? Favorite performer? Song?
  • Is there a person in history you greatly admire? Why?
  • Who are your heroes?
I then send a couple the first draft of their ceremony for approval. They can edit, delete and/or change to their heart's content. We keep at it until they feel the ceremony is finished - and they LOVE it.

And voila! That's how a personalized ceremony is created.