People often wonder how it is that I can create a "personalized" ceremony for each couple.
Well, I will now divulge my secret..... actually it's not really a secret at all.
Every couple who hires me completes a Couple Questionnaire before I start working on their ceremony. The Questionnaire has tons of questions, the answers of which allow me to get to know each couple better.
Then I start working on the ceremony. I select rituals the couple has requested, or I suggest those that I think they'll like. I also spend time researching elements that will make the ceremony unique, such as lyrics to songs they like, quotes from a favorite author or movie, etc. I'll also look into traditions from their cultural backgrounds if they like.
So... what are some of the questions I ask? Here is a small sampling:
- How did you and your partner meet?
- How did you propose or accept the proposal?
- What does your partner do that always makes you laugh?
- In what ways has your life changed since meeting your partner?
- Would you like to include anything in the ceremony to honor your background?
- Is there someone special who helped shape you as a person?
- Do you have a favorite movie or book? Favorite writer?
- What is your favorite type of music? Favorite performer? Song?
- Is there a person in history you greatly admire? Why?
- Who are your heroes?
And voila! That's how a personalized ceremony is created.